Monday, November 1, 2010

MEDIA MEDITATION #4: Happy Halloween!!!

It's that time of year again!!! You know, that time in October when it's socially acceptable, nay, encouraged to let little children accept candy from strangers! At night! Looking extra cute in adorable costumes!

Does no one else find that weird?

Haha I kid, I kid. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays because it's an excuse to get all dressed up with your friends and eat tons of junk food without guilt.







Here is a picture of my friend Courtney and I celebrating with style ---------->






Of course, around this time of year the TV has been abducted by candy companies who are advertising their candy as the best, hoping consumers everywhere buy their delicious brand to give out to the neighborhood kids. Living in a college dorm, I didn't have to worry about that, but seeing those commercials on the television certainly made me crave some candy!

For example, here's a good one from the peanut butter chocolate candy Reese's



Short, simple and scarifying! I certainly wouldn't want to give away my Reese's stash! The advertisers sure know what they are doing, using rhetorical questions AND fear (coughcoughhumorcoughcough) on their audience. They also add in a bit of flattery, telling us to have a perfect Halloween. How sweet! (and I mean that in every sense!)

In fact, they did such a good job that I can no longer focus on this blog and absolutely must eat a Reese's. Powerful advertising indeed.

Happy Halloween everyone!!

1 comment:

  1. EXCELLENT HH blogging, Andrea!

    Now go get 9 more followers, eh?

    Hurry!

    Bravo,

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete